Travel to The Valley
Please consider one of the following sustainable transport methods when visiting The Valley:
Walk to The Valley
The Valley is only a 25 minute walk from the Newcastle City Centre, and 20 minutes from Newcastle Quayside, with some beautiful views.
Train to The Valley
We are less than 10 minutes walk from Byker Metro Station, part of the Tyne and Wear Metro network. Trains run every 12 minutes at peak times and every 15 minutes off-peak to both Newcastle City Centre (just 2 stops / 4 minutes!) and The Coast.
The nearest mainline station is Central Station - with connections to local services and the East Coast Main Line. Central Station is just 3 Metro stops away: change at Monument to platform 3 for stations towards The Coast via Wallsend. More info on Newcastle Central Station here.
Bus to The Valley
Shields Road in Byker is well served by buses to destinations such as Newcastle (1, 1A, 12, 22, 32, 32A, 39, 40, 62, 63, 91), Four Lane Ends (18, 18A), Killingworth (62, 63), Wallsend (12, 40) and Whitley Bay (1, 1A).
The Valley is just a couple of minutes walk from the QuayLink Q3 Bus Service.
Drive to The Valley
The Valley is very easily accessible from all parts of the city, sitting barely a mile from Newcastle's Central Motorway and bridge crossings.
From Newcastle Central Motorway: Follow the A193 across the Byker Bridge to the roundabout at its end. Turn right onto Byker Bank and go downhill. The centre entrance is on the left, before reaching the traffic lights at the bottom of the bank.
From the Quayside: Turn left onto Byker Bank at the Hotel du Vin. The centre is the large warehouse, currently with 'To Let' signs on. The main entrance is on the far side, turn right after the traffic lights.
Please note that cars are regularly ticketed for parking on the pavement behind double yellow lines on Byker Bank (next to the post box), or blocking pedestrian ramps on the corners of Byker Bank / Quality Row (both the one in the image above and opposite).
Both of the pedestrian ramps are regularly used by wheelchair users and pushchairs - please do not park over them!
There is ample parking within 5 minutes walk if you are willing to look for it.
Parking is available in the following locations:
- Quality Row (0 mins walk): immediately in front of the entrance to the centre. Free and unrestricted, but please avoid pedestrian ramps and double yellow lines.
- Byker Bank (0 mins walk): Free parking opposite the centre on Byker Bank, and the area behind it on the opposite/West side are OK to park too, but not the area behind double yellow lines on the near/East side against the side of the centre, next to the post box- a pavement behind double yellow lines is still double yellow lines and you are very likely to get a ticket!
- Ford Street (1-2 min walk): Free on-street parking (2 hour limited); turn left as you go down Byker Bank after the centre at the traffic lights.
- Ouseburn Centre (2-3 min walk): There is ample parking in the centre of Ouseburn, particularly in the evening. Turn right as you go down Byker Bank after the centre at the traffic lights. Parking meters daytime, free evenings.
- Stephen St (2-3 min walk): There is free on street parking in the street leading to Halfords and other businesses on Stephen St at the top of Byker Bank. Please respect the customer parking bays, but the street is unrestricted. There are countless other small streets in this area too.
- Byker Centre (3-4 min walk): There is a large free car park in the centre of Byker in the area near to KFC and the large bingo centre (currently Buzz Bingo). It is restricted to a max 2 hour stay on mornings Mon-Sat but unrestricted at other times.
- Spiller's Car Park (6-7 min walk) There is a large pay and display car park on the quayside next to The Cycle Hub which is a lovely short walk along the Ouse and past Tyne Bar (possible refreshments later!).
- Climb Newcastle @ The Pool (9-10 min walk): Our original centre in Byker is only 10 minutes walk away and always has plenty of free parking - plus your day pass is valid there too, so you can pop in for another 200 problems to try!